Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hawaii: my heart's partial home

Wednesday, September 4: If you could take three months off from your current life and do anything in the world, what would you do? (bonus points for fun photos from Pinterest, but don’t forget to cite the source!)

Three months.  Three MONTHS.  THREE months.  Hmm. 

My initial reaction is that I would visit my family.  This may sound totally tame and cheesy and lame to some, but understand this:  my entire immediate family lives in Hawaii.  I live in upstate South Carolina.  Sure, it is nice here and winter doesn't feel anything like the harsh, hellish nightmare is was in my 24 years in Ohio.  But come on!  I live in South Carolina.  My family lives in HAWAII. 

I don't wish to go to Hawaii to go to Hawaii.  I genuinely wish to be with my family, with whom I am incredibly close (this is especially true for my mom and my sister).  Hawaii is actually just kind of a bonus.  Here's the clincher: my dear, sweet husband is petrified of air travel.  I honestly don't know if I will ever get him in an airplane.  It is heartbreaking, really, because I do love to travel.  I have been to England, Ireland, and Dominican Republic all by air and I'd love to see more of the world.  I've been to Hawaii three times.  I want to be there pretty much all of the time.  But Kyle is not and will not be a flier.  Bummer. 

Do you have anyone who you are so close to that you feel completely incomplete without them?  To me, that person is actually two people: my mom and my sister.  We have more than a typical family bond.  We belong in the same places.  And we're a hoot when we're together. 
 Green Sands Beach near South Point, Hawaii.
 My brave and beautiful sister swinging from a reclaimed rope swing in Pololu Valley, Hawaii.
 Me, relaxing in a reclaimed rope hammock, also in Pololu Valley.
 A lovely, lonely dried riverbed.
The Pololu Valley shore

No comments:

Post a Comment