Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 3, Friday: Things that make you uncomfortable

Lots of things fall into the uncomfortable category for me.  In fact, I'd venture to say that I am sometimes uncomfortable in my own skin.  Today i contemplated calling in sick because I felt too ugly to work.  Why can't that be an excuse?  Since there are so many things that make me uncomfortable, today's post will be in list form.  Please keep in mind that these items should be taken in no particular order.

1.  Excessive spending.  This is the main reason that my hair never gets cut enough, my "new" clothes are pretty much all four or more years old, and I don't own 11 cats. 

2.  Having Happy Birthday sung to me.  Because what face are you supposed to make?

3.  Super unspecific directions or inquiries.  For instance:  Did you send that thing to that guy?  When someone is this unspecific with me, I feel like they must have a reason to believe that I'd know what the heck they're talking about, or they wouldn't be asking.  So then I feel like a deer in headlights as I try to remember all of the stuff I sent to different people and mentally decide which item they might mean. 

4.  Going to the gym.  This makes me uncomfortable for a great many reasons.  Some include:  I own one pair, ONE pair, of yoga pants.  They are too short.  I feel like an enormous nerd wearing too-short pants in my house, let alone in public.  Another reason is because I am too shy to ask how to use any of the equipment and so I either stand there for 20 minutes trying to figure it out on my own, or just hop on and hope for the best.  I also hate working out and give up too easily and I look disgusting covered in sweat and ugly gym clothes.  These all add up to extreme selfconsciousness at the gym, thus, I hate going to the gym.

5.  IVs, bags of blood, tourniquets, and various other medical equipment.  My husband is an EMT and I worked (as a registration clerk) in an Emergency Room for a year and a half, but even thinking of bone cutters or hypodermic needles can make me feel queasy.  I used to like watching House and my college quadmates loved Grey's Anatomy, but those shows absolutely live for showing needles going into arms and whatnot.  No, thank you. 

6.  When doors close and whispering ensues behind them.  This can be during family holidays, work, parties, public places, anywhere.  Call me an egomaniac, but I know  they are talking about me!

7.  Driving in new and unfamiliar places.  Driving in foul weather.  Driving.  Period.  I am never at ease behind the wheel.  A very dear friend of my sister's died in a car accident just before his 18th birthday.  I was 15 at the time and it scared me out of getting my permit or license...  I did not actually get my driver's license until I was 19 and my mom forced me to... and I was in an accident two weeks later.  It was not a bad accident at all, but I was so shaken that I did not drive again until I was 21.  I'm now almost 27 and I only drive to and from work and I don't really know how to get almost anywhere else. 

8.  "Love scenes."  I don't want to see other people doing it.  It spoils the whole movie for me.  It makes me feel ridiculously uncomfortable and always has!  It's way, way, worse when I happen to be watching the movie with a family member or something, though.  Ugh.

9.  Dancing.  I have two left feet and no rhythm.  I look like Kermit the Frog when I dance and I'm so selfconscious about it that I don't even enjoy it a little bit.  It's really a shame because I know dancing gives so many people so much joy, and even people who aren't gifted dancers enjoy it.  I just can't.  The one exception is contra dance :)

10.  Lying.  I'm honestly an honest person :)  I don't even tell the "little white lies" to stay out of trouble, like "Sure I remember Great Uncle Moe."  No.  I don't.  Who the heck is that?  Oh, this old coot standing right in front of me?  Whoops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment