Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 6, Monday: If you couldn’t answer with your job, how would you answer the question, ‘what do you do’?

I am excited about this question.  When I moved to SC two years ago, I knew it would be hard for me to make friends.  I was right.  I've joined two separate Bible studies, go to a Yoga class as often as possible, and go to many social events with my husband's work friends, but it is still so hard to get to know people.  I remember going to that first Bible study and feeling like I did not get to know anyone, even after going for several weeks.  Oh, I knew what each person did for a living, but how did that help me get to know them as people?  It didn't.  I have, since, thought about never answering the question, "What do you do?" with my job, which is an Administrative Assistant.  How vanilla does that sound?  It's not me.  It's just how I make money.  I do so much more than sit at a desk for 40 hours a week.  Let me tell you some things I do:

I crochet.  I am not a very good "hooker" because I have a lot of trouble following patterns, but I do enjoy it so much. 

I sing/perform when cleaning my house, driving my car, making lunch, etc.  I like to listen to Pandora Radio set to Show Tunes and dream of a career as a Disney singer or a Broadway actress.

I judge books by the cover... literally.  I don't generally read books with boring or cheesy covers.  I've made a few exceptions, but not enough to make me stop judging books by their covers.

I cook.  I may not be the best cook in the world and I may not enjoy doing it, but I usually find that the food I've made is tasty.  Kyle generally agrees.

I panic about silly things. 

I talk to my animals as if they were people.  I always tell my kitties and pup how beautiful they are. 

I experiment with arts and crafts.  One year, I want to do all handmade Christmas gifts. 

I read and write very frequently.  I read on my lunch breaks, waiting in lines, before bed, and at many meals, though usually not at dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment